EdgeCore 4.3.1 Release Notes
Production date: October 14, 2020
Last Updated: October 19
The 4.3.1 release introduces new functionalities related to authentication, data management, security, server, cluster management, and visualization.
Discontinued Support for MySQL 5.7
Support for MySQL 5.7 has been discontinued. MySQL support is now limited to 8+. This is specific to the AuthDb and CacheDb. Connections will still support MySQL 5.7.
Microsoft SQL Server Support
Microsoft SQL Server is now supported as an authentication database, and as such is used to store accounts, provisioning, and sessions.
Using Microsoft SQL Server for Caching
EdgeCore now supports Microsoft SQL Server for external caching of pipeline data and execution of SQL Transforms.
Security and Access Control
Assigning Security Permissions to Roles in the UI
Besides assigning permissions via APIs, it is now also possible to do so in the UI. Assigning permissions is done on the Provision Roles page (the Permissions tab). Users are able to modify the permissions for all roles.
Storing and Retrieving Archives
Server instances can now store or retrieve configurations that are stored on a Command Center instance.
Setting the Cluster Name in the UI
Cluster name can now be set when initializing. If there is an entry for instance.clusterName in
local.properties, this value will be displayed in the UI as the default value. The admin can override the value via the UI before initializing the cluster.
Visualization State Persistence
In the Edit mode, you are now able to specify how modifications made to table visualizations are stored. Specifying these preferences is done in the Visualization State Persistence dropdown, where you will be presented with the following options: Always, Session, and None.
For example, if you change column order or sorting order, an indicator will show that a custom preference is applied. Moreover, by clicking this indicator, you will reset the visualization to its default state.
RPA Script Center
- To ease the logic branching and script editing, the
scriptRunnerfunction now takes a
gotolabel as argument.
- To make it easier for you to know if an action has been captured, you are now able to see what steps are being recorded.
Wait for element to loadfunction has been added to the Script Center. This function enables you to check and control when processing continues based on waiting for an element to load.
- The issue that caused the
ConcurrentModificationExceptionto occur has been resolved.
- The issue that caused the
ClassCastExceptionto occur when running SQL Transforms has been resolved.
invokeServerAction(actionName, nodeVars)function has been added to replace the need for Java.
- The issue where web adapter connection’s Application Version defaulted to web adapter version has been resolved.
- The RPA Script Center issue where the execution respects the timeout set in the script context but does not show it in the list of arguments has been resolved.
- The RPA Script Center issue where the
switchPageaction did not have a default argument set has been resolved.
- The issue with the SSO handler
isExpiredhas been resolved. Some sources returned a 200 status with a timeout in the message body.
- The issue with the Angular Router has been resolved. After disabling the UI-Router settings and setting-up the
HashLocationStrategyin Angular Router, the hash (#) was not set.
- The issue where resizing a column in a Pipeline Node Preview pane caused selection issues has been resolved.
- The issue that caused JS transform
sourceRecordsto be in the wrong order when loading the partial backup has been resolved.
- The issue with date fields in remote Pipeline Connection Feeds has been resolved. When using a remote pipeline connection source, columns that are a date type were displayed in the Feed correctly, but they did not make it to any downstream nodes.
- The issue where the cached parts of the 3.x version affected the login page for the 4.x version and prevented the user from logging in has been resolved.
- Cache Compatibility (MySql / H2 / Oracle)
EdgeCore supports using H2 by default, but the system can be switched to use a MySQL Database or Oracle Database as the CacheDB. If an export is restored, any SQL Transforms should be reviewed, as H2 specific query syntax will need to be converted to MySQL or Oracle syntax. There is a script utility that reports some of these issues, and the script itself can be extended to report which Transforms reference syntax that requires updates.
- Custom Login Page Compatibility
Login pages built on versions prior to EdgeCore v4.1 are not compatible. An upgrade script is included to help stash custom login pages into ‘static-web/login-pre4.1’ and the customizations will require manual migration to the new default template.
- HTML Template Visualizations
Based on the version you are upgrading from, the following issues could cause you to need a rewrite to your HTML Template Widgets:
– Due to the significant upgrade to Bootstrap 4, Glyphicons are no longer included. If you have custom HTML Templates that use them, in v3.11 they will all be empty.
– Due to the upgrade to Angular 9, HTML Templates that used AngularJS 1.x syntax will have to be rewritten.
- Common Table Expression ‘WITH’ Clauses
EdgeCore uses the H2 database in support of the SQL Transforms. SQL that uses Common Table Expression (CTE) ‘WITH’ clauses have been identified as causing two issues.
– Lock Timeouts: Transforms fail to run as temporary tables fail to be cleaned up.
– Memory Leaks: The temporary table results are not being cleaned up properly in all instances, and it will trigger Out Of Memory on the JVM.
- Errors connecting to 3rd party https webdata/webcontent sources
EdgeCore fails to connect over HTTPS to backend data sources. In this case, one likely solution is to enable SNI. This is a global configuration, so on some systems it might have the opposite effect.
# — SNI Options; may need to be enabled (ENABLE_SNI=true) when connecting to third-party https webdata/webcontent sources.
- Issues with using Auth/Cache DB with MySQL 5.7 (MariaDB 10.1.x – 10.3.x)