Actions are used to add interactivity to visualizations on a page. Actions are activated using supported click and/or hover gestures. Each of these gestures can be configured to handle multiple Actions, and when multiple Actions are configured an end-user will be prompted with a context menu. Context menus allow an end-user to select which one of the configured Actions should be used. An example would be multiple Switch to Page Actions configured to a single click gesture. In this scenario, a click gesture will reveal a context menu containing a list of the target pages, and the end-user will be able to choose which page they would like to switch to.
Supported Click Actions
|Copy To Clipboard
|Enables you to copy data to the system clipboard
|Enables you to launch a new URL
|Enables you to change values in the source dataset
|Set Page Variable
|Enables you to set the value of a page variable. This action is commonly used to filter the data
|Show Record Details
|Enables you to display a window that lists every attribute and value for a selected record
|Enables you to target a stacked visualization, and bring a specific visualization to the top of the stack
|Switch To Page
|Enables you to change the display to show a different page in the system
Supported Hover Actions
- Tooltip – Enables you to display a pop-up that lists selected attributes and values for a selected record.
Adding an Action
To add an Action, click the Edit button in the breadcrumb bar to enter the Edit mode for a page.
Edit mode will enable additional options for each visualization. You can expose these options by clicking the three dots (gear icon in earlier versions) in the upper right corner of a visualization.
- Click the three dots (or icon in earlier edgeCore versions) on a visualization.
- Select the Edit Actions option to open the Manage Actions dialog.
The Manage Actions dialog shows all Actions configured for the associated visualization. If this is a new visualization, and no Actions have been configured yet, then the list will be empty.
- Click the icon in the footer to add a new Action.
- Select the event type to use for the Action.
- Drag the action number to rearrange the order of the actions as they appear on the action menu when there is more than one action.
The example below shows a Hover event that will trigger the Tooltip Action.